Saturday 27 October 2012

SCARPA Men's SL M3 Backpacking Boot

With the SCARPA Men's SL M3 Backpacking Boot  from SCARPA, obstacles won't be of any problem. Deep traction in the vibram sole helps enhance mountaineering experiences through though and stable boot sole design, thus this is a highly durable product at the base. Padded linings and the high-cut top offer ankle stability as well as comfort.

The boot is also leather lined and cuffed, all for the best comfort it can provide. The Tri-Flex ankle designed provides increased trekking comfort while at the same time provides good support. The silicone impregnated full-grain leather tops up the boot as both very practical and good looking.

These are the summary of the boot's specs and pictures to give a much better idea of this boot:

Upper: Sherpa HS12® leather
Lining: Taibrelle
Insole: Performance-Flex
Midsole: PU/EVA
Sole: Vibram(R) M3
Color: Bourdeaux
Last: BX
Sizes: 24.5 – 31
Sizes: 38 - 47, 48, 49, 50
Sizes: 38 - 47, 48, 49, 50
Product Code: 66002/S07









The SCARPA Men's SL M3 Backpacking Boot  is no doubt a good pair of boots. Here are the reviews from those who had purchased this pair. Overall, this boot averaged around the near perfect 5/5. Why? Read on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven after break-in
By George Shaw

I wore out two pairs of earlier design Scarpa SL's on many peaks and winter camps even though they were only rated "three season". Those boots were the most comfortable and versatile hikers I have ever owned. Inevitable replacement needs had me look at this new model first. I was not thrilled with the elevated footbed and the fact that Scarpa apparently was falling in step with the footbed design of worthy but lesser competitors like Asolo and Vasque.

Break in was longer than anticipated; I'll attribute that to the quality and thickness of the leather. Once properly broken in a very comfy ride is yours. Owing to the extended break in required it is critical that your foot is compatible with the last in terms of width, toe box, etc. as you will not feel the true nature of these boots in a try-on session.

The biggest weakness is again the elevated footbed that reduces agility and balance over the prior design.

An excellent all-arounder boot but not as far ahead of the competition as before.




5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Boots February 28, 2011
By Phil Twiss
I bought these shoes to do the Copland Pass and parts of Arthur's Pass in New Zealand but racked up a fair few miles in them in training before hand in the West Australian bush. This is a very comfortable boot that does take a little while to break in (so get the size right) and is an incredibly reliable boot. The only warning I would give is that if you love the pristine bordeaux leather look don't wear them in the mountains as they will become very scuffed and develop a lot of character.

I used mine in scree, snow, rock and numerous river crossings and they loved it. The soles are flexible enough to give you all day walking comfort fully loaded up but stiff enough to wear with crampons and climb reasonably serious rock. At one point I found myself climbing about 100 feet of extremely high angle moraine wall (don't ask) complete with the full weight of my pack and was able to trust my weight on the toes of these boots the whole time with little fatigue in my calf muscles. I'm sure there are better dedicated climbing boots out there but the SL M3s give you the comfort of a great trekking / mountaineering boot with the confidence of a well designed vibram sole and excellent geometry to get you through those situations that maybe you were not anticipating.

The SL M3 is a beautiful looking boot but the style is not there at the expense of the function, these are a very capable boot.




5.0 out of 5 stars One great hillwalking boot February 3, 2011
By SimSalb

I bought these primarily to do some winter hill walking / low level mountaineering in the English Lakes District. However, in the recent harsh New England winter they have also proved an invaluable asset when clearing my driveway too! Instantly comfortable, beautifully made Italian boots. By far the best boots I have ever owned. Love them. Cannot recommend enough.

And this is from Scarpa's


Anonymous Jul 15, 2011 
Ranking: 


I have owned many boots in the 30yrs I have been playing around on the trails. I am going to keep this simple. Out of all of the boots I have owned this is hands down the best boot I have ever put on my feet. Not the most expensive but it is the best. I hope Scarpa keeps this one around for a long time. I saw the new SL. I like the rand but other than that I would jump on this boot for any type of backpacking except for flat trails. The M3 would be complete overkill in that type of terrain. They have a winner here. Don't change a good thing.


The typical price for this hiking boot is $269.00 with the possibility of a price as low as $136.95 on Amazon. Click here for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment